Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Message from my Mother



"I remember a story my mother told me often of how when I was 5 years old I came in from playing outside and told her I wanted to be a nurse like my friend Lynnie. "You don't have to do what Lynnie does" she said. "When you grow up, I want you to be an individualist." "I don't want to be an individualist." I said. "I want to be a nurse!"

She told me this story often as I traveled through my life and although she is no longer here, her message remains strong.

A couple of nights ago, I guess she felt I needed a little reminder as she came to me in one of those dreams that seem so real you could touch them. She had the same theme . . .

"Put a drop of oil on people's consciousness" my mother said to me in the depths of my deepest dream.  "Do you mean my oils?" I asked.  "Yes" she responded. "Where is their consciousness . . . how do I know where?" I inquired. "Ask them" she said. "Why?" I asked. "So they will be more conscious" my mother replied. "Why is that important?" I asked "So they will be more conscious" she replied.

I experienced that kind of knowing from my inner depths that comes when a truth is being told and I could feel my body smiling with this wisdom I was having the privilege of receiving.

"Why is that important?' I asked her. "Because that's the journey" she replied. "What is?" I asked. "To be more conscious." she said. "Why is that the journey?" I inquired. "Because we need to be aware" "Why?" I asked. "So we know what to do and who we are" she replied. "Why is that important?" I continued. "That's how we make it to where we are going" she replied.

I could feel myself in another space. I knew that I was dreaming, but was completely aware of every move. I remained curious. I remained aware. I continued to inquire, never assuming what would come next.  

"Where are we going?" I questioned. "Beyond where you know." she answered softly. "Can you explain that to me?" I asked, not sure if I really wanted to go there at that moment. "Yes" she replied, "But we're getting off the point."

"And what point is that? I smiled. "Your purpose" she replied. "Oh" I thought to myself. I became more curious. "What's my purpose?" I asked as I titled my head to the side. "To help people know." "Know what" I continued. "Know who they are" she responded.

"You have the power" she replied. I didn't expect that answer. So instead of assuming what she meant, I asked "What power?" "The power to help people transform into their purpose" she said. I sat back. "What is their purpose?" I asked quietly. "To know who they are" she answered back.

To know who we are . . .  That is our quest here on Earth. My mother made sure to keep me on track. It didn't matter if I was 5 or a grown adult, if she was here or not here. It is still the same journey.  I find a certain comfort in that.

Thanks Mom . . .  for the reminder to remain who I am. That is the work. 

I love you. Happy Mother's Day!

                                                                                                         copyright Elizabeth MacLeod 2011

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of 5 year olds, your mother has the patience of a saint, lol. I was giggling when I read this, because you reminded me of a little child asking the endless questions. To your mother's credit, she never said "Because I said so!" That was a lovely and empowering message she sent you, and you definitely have the power to help people transform into purpose. I know that from personal experience. :)