Saturday, April 12, 2014

How to Survive being Sensitive - The Real Truth Uncovered


We were driving in the car when she leaned over to me on her 16 year old elbow and asked “Are there lots of sensitive people?” She turned and looked at me, then back to the ocean in our view ahead.   "Hmmmm" I said thoughtfully. "What a great question."  

And away we went. We dove in talking about how only 10% of the population would probably be outwardly sensitive and what mass mind is and how do we fit into all of this… and what it means to be wild and free and how does one survive being sensitive anyways.

So how does one navigate the tender landscape of sensitivity. That place that many want to wipe away as if it doesn't belong to being human?

The skill of woman-oeuvring this innate ability is not always an easy task and it is one that we are taught very early to often ignore or be ashamed of. This aspect of ourselves, that many call Sensitive with a flavor of disapproval, comes with a 'sense' of being something that might not be okay. But in reality, the 'sense' we feel is more of an awakening to a skill being honed. Not something we need to hide or be ashamed or scared of.

How many times did you hear growing up… 

"Oh, you're just too sensitive . . . " 

I know I heard it a lot. And when I heard it, I felt like there was something wrong with me. But the truth was, nothing was wrong with me. I just needed a guide, like the women in the red tents use to do, and just know that this was a skill I needed to hone and use as a guide in my life and also as an indicator of my path.

For the Wild Woman being sensitive is part of her landscape. And woman-oeuvring is delicate and raw, deep and cut throat, necessary and niggling and sometimes feels like a nuisance. I know, sounds dramatic. But sensitivity is something, we as women, need to navigate.

For the Wild Woman... sensitive is being responsive, aware, conscious, alive and highly feeling. She strives to be strong in her vulnerability, to allow her delicateness to shine through and to be raw in her bravery. She knows her subtly, her ease, her emotive nature. To some in society, this is called being sensitive. 

To me, is it called being alive and a blessed skill helping us to navigate our true path.

We must stand up in this innate power with attentiveness as she is mindful in her service to us. To help, I've created a Sensitive acronym to help you along your way and help you to hone your divine and wild skill. As she is here to help us navigate our path. 

Let's look for a moment at what "being sensitive" really means and how it really is a survival skill and magical talent of the most extraordinary proportions. 

-----

The Wild Woman Sensitive Acronym

S = Soulful
E = Elevated
N = Ninja
S = Sensory
I  = Imperfect
T = Telepathic
I  = Investigative
V = Vulcanish 
E = Enough

------

What does this mean?


Soufful

The Soulful woman is a woman who really needs to be aligned with her soul. She can not step into the mass stream and follow unconsciously where they take her without any thought to her heart and destiny. Some think, she’s sensitive because she can not fit into that box...  

Some tell her "You're just too sensitive" but  for the Wild Woman, it just sparks that place in her that acknowledges her need to be soul driven instead of manipulated or shoved into what is not in her own best interest or into the mass mind consciousness. She knows that she is here to be herself. That's where her gifts lie. And that is what is important. As that is what the world is waiting for. 

She is soulful, with a soul that is whispering to her and guiding her way through special signals. This sacred skill of sensing, feeling, and interpreting helps her to stay on her path which thrives when attended to.


Elevated

To be in the norm is not the path of the wild woman. She must elevate herself into the light, and surround her self with those who also travel this path. It is imperative that she moves in a way where she can rise up and where she can empower others to rise up with her. 

She desires to be with like-minded souls, to stretch out of the patterns keeping her stuck, to bust open the habits that don't expand her. Tolerating is not something she is good at and to some, this is considered a good thing. The Wild Woman knows to raise herself to the vibration that is more fitting for her, to seek that which is in alignment with her being and to feel where this exists in her. This is what is important. Realness. Connection. Truth of being. It is honing her vibration and setting the course of her mission here on Earth.


Ninja

Being a Wild Woman is sometimes like running underground on a covert mission. She infiltrates and observes and honors the path.The popular way of being is not in her folklore. She instead strives to zone in on her martial art, searching for the origins of her soul and her meaning here on the planet. She is skilled in self-defense, attack, and unarmed combat with incoming information and learns to nourish herself through her sensations and perceptions. 

Her energy barefoot, she trains herself mentally as well as physically to listen to what is presented to her and take the action she needs in service to herself and the world. Her senses specifically tuned, she holds great honor on her path and stays open to the legend of the Wild Woman Tribe.


Sensory

The Wild Woman has antennae. For real. Her physical feelings and perceptions result in her capacity to contact the feelings she has in her body. She is inexplicably aware and possesses a wide range of perceptions allowing her to sense things before they sometimes happen or that are happening but can't be seen . . .  like the sensation that something is about to happen. She can spot someone across the room who is in need, depressed or alone. She can feel into what needs to happen.  

She has a 'sense' of humor, a 'sense' to leave the room, a 'sense' of meeting you before, a 'sense' of impending danger, a 'sense' of purpose. This sense helps her intuition and her skill is highly attuned.


Imperfect

She knows that all she is in this moment, is what she is. She knows that the past is the past, the future has not yet arrived and that she is always becoming. This gift is transferred without any conditions having to be met. There are no requirements except to feel what she feels and be what she is. Her flawed global traits are what makes her what she is. Her broken places allow her to crack open into her heart. And she knows, imperfection is the perfection. Broken is Whole. 

She sits in the cadence modulating into structure, or simply part of a sequence of moments comprising the whole of who she is. She accepts the rhythm of her own beat, in her own time, in her own way. She senses into it. 

The laws of life and destiny of her spirit keep her beautifully arriving into herself everyday, never to stagnate or stay the same. Listening always to the movement. She feels and senses her way through. This is the glory of imperfection.


Telepathic

She is a visionary, an oracular pendulum of rare second-sightedness. She does not need to be told, for she feels, intuits and senses. Her way of tracking herself and her world are designed for her particular purpose. 

She has an ability to transfer information from a sensation to a feeling and following through on what to do or to a 'knowing' without words. You might see it as thinking of a person and then seconds later, the person calls on the phone and she says "I was just thinking of you" … That's the sensitive Wild Woman, aware of communication we can not always see. 


Investigative

The Wild Woman has a private eye skilled with many ways of seeing. Always the best when she is curious, she is rare in her ability to allow for all to present itself. She is inquisitive and naked when it comes to wanting to know the truth. This truth leads her to places many others can not necessarily feel and see. Some call her wise, but it is her investigative qualities and fleshy way of feeling her life. 

She makes formal inquiries with herself through that which she experiences in her body, mind, soul and energy and uses this skill for informed decision making. Her agency is to uncover the information she receives through her many sensitivity skills of which she has spent a life time learning and relearning.


Vulcanish 

The Wild Woman can mind-meld, cut through the crap and see what is real. Her ears are pointed to her tender vulnerability and she knows without a doubt her enchantment with her life and her complete and absolute perfection with her journey. So therefore, anything else, doesn't matter. She observes her sensations in full awareness, thus allowing her to have first contact with any kind of outside influence. 

Reasoning and logic follow a slightly different path for her than the ordinary world. For the Wild Woman, it means consciousness (reasoning) and validity (logic). She views sensitivity as her best friend as this skill in monumental in her help for the transitioning Wild Woman in crucial stages in her life. 

There is no BS when you know what you know and fell what you feel. That's reality. That's truth.


Enough

The Wild Woman never follows a script, and sets out on her mission knowing she has what she needs. Her spidey senses guide her knowing so that with every move she is sufficient and she doesn’t need to be more than she is. She doesn’t need to compare. Her ability to sense into what she needs to complete her self is what her senses tell her. 

She does not tolerate well those who say she needs more or something different or the same. This can throw her into a spot of unbalance. Toleration is not part of the enough equation. Rather, she welcomes the presentation of all that makes her who she is, nothing more, and nothing less. 

Her sensitive ways confirm that which she already is and it's up to her to decide if more is less, or less is more, or if she is enough the way she is in this moment. She knows she has a choice. Her tuned in skills provide her with the path that is hers and hers alone. 

And she walks in this place, with confidence as her senses guide her way. It is enough to know this.

------

So the next time you are told "you are too sensitive" or "that it's just because you are sensitive" . . .  instead of falling into a place of judgment or past historic stories of not being good enough or 'right' enough growing up . . . 

Say instead . . . 

"Thank you so much. I'm working on my skills and talents and I really appreciate you noticing!" 

Then walk away into the sunset with a deep smile. 

With love, 

~Elizabeth xo

-------- 

About Elizabeth MacLeod, BMus, BEd, CPC
Founder of Wild Woman Enchanted

Hey Wild Woman. Welcome! I'm the author and illustrator of the Wild Woman Mystery Cards - An enchanting journey to your true self. I write, illustrate, teach and make Wild Woman books and tools for your beautiful and wild heart. 

My calling is to let every woman know it's your birthright to be who you are. I'll help you connect to yourself and your power, grace, wisdom, beauty, glory and wildness. 

I love big screen movies, meaningful words, anything sky blue and I'm passionate about helping women living their best and most authentic life. 


For a better life, go to www.wildwomanenchanted.com and pick up your free guide to living a happier life. It's FREE!


18 comments:

Marg said...

Such a beautiful and honest article Elizabeth. I love the acronym. This really cut deep into my soul as it brought back a life filled with "You're just too sensitive Marg". I now know that my sensitivity is my gift...a gift to be cherished. Thank you for expressing so clearly what so many sensitive souls experience, and for wrapping us all in a warm blanket of wild grace. X.

Unknown said...

Wow, I was often told I was 'too sensitive' when I was young. It wasn't until I became an adult did I realize the strength of my 'spider senses'. Your acronym is wonderful & I never realized my Vulcanishness

Lorna said...

Elizabeth I can't figure out if this is me or not. I certainly used to be too emotional. When I look back, I realize that I took everything so personally and it made me a slave to what anyone said. I have gotten over that and my life is so much more peaceful and sure. So recently I haven't considered myself highly sensitive. Except now that I've ready this article where everything else rang true to me, I think I have some re-evaluating to do.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Elizabeth! I was talking with the other day about sensitivity, I will send her your article! yes, not too sensitive - the rest of the world is not sensitive enough! but we do need to learn how to take care of ourselves! thanks for a wonderful post. xxx

Unknown said...

Great post Elizabeth. I associate "too sensitive" to being to self involved. I have seen a few people who feel pain because they are so empathetic. Your post gives us a lot to think about. Thank you.

Tania said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! This truly resonates with me, and I think many women. You words here, really shone through for me ""being sensitive" really means and how it really is a survival skill and magical talent of the most extraordinary proportions. " It truly is a magical talent and I will most certainly respond correctly the next time someone tells me (and rightfully so) that I am too sensitive. I am posting this at my desk today and committing it to memory "Thank you so much. I'm working on my skills and talents and I really appreciate you noticing!"

Marci said...

Elizabeth, this is spot on for me. I remember feeling like I was so alone growing up, so "not normal" and feeling like I didn't belong because of my "sensitivity." Honestly, there are times it could be easy to fall into that old feeling in present life in certain situations. But realizing that this sensitivity is a gift, and now raising a daughter who has the same tendencies, I now embrace who I am and am empowered by this gift. I love where you write: "For the Wild Woman... sensitive is being responsive, aware, conscious, alive and highly feeling." Thank you for this, beautiful!

Michelle said...

*GASP* Elizabeth, not only have I heard this throughout my entire life, but I've also been told this by EVERY man I have ever dated (including the one I wedded). I can't wait to practice this empowering reply the next time! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Unknown said...

Fantastic Elizabeth! I love your message that being sensitive is not a bad thing - well said! I can certainly relate to this. Thank you for your beautiful insights.

angela said...

"too sensitive" 'too dramatic" "get over it" "move on" and so many more references to my sensitivity being wrong. For 40+ years I felt like an alien on this planet, having the innate ability to connect deeply with others but never feeling like anyone could connect back.. if that makes sense. I am soooooo happy and excited and honoured to finally have met people from my planet!!! Thank you Elizabeth for making me feel like I belong. <3

Elizabeth said...

mmmm Yes Marg . . . Wild grace x….

Susie glad you now know how wonderful your spicy sense are…and that you rhave now realized your Vulanishness
!

Elizabeth said...

Lorna . . . sounds like you are really honing in on your gifts and navigating them well. Let me know how your re-evaluation goes and if you have any questions…

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for passing my post on Deb. Warms my heart to know we sisters unite! Pass it on.

Tania … posting your reply to your desk and committing it to memory… YES… Wild Woman Unite!!!!

Cathy, yes sensitivity and it's expressions do give a lot to think about :)

Thank you ladies for your beautiful comments.

Elizabeth said...

Marci, your daughter is so lucky to have you so you can help to show her the way… Stay empowered!

Michelle I could hear your GASP …. And I'm so glad you can't wait!

Kathleen… yes… not a bad thing at all!!!!

Elizabeth said...

Angela…. Yes… YOU DO BELONG. xoxox So glad you can feel it. So glad. xo

april said...

yes, i was often told that i was sensitive. sometimes in a not-very-nice way. fortunately for me, i had the most wonderful mom who always assured me that being sensitive was a positive trait, that it would serve me well. and i must say that now i embrace my feelings fully, i listen to what my emotions are telling me, i trust them. thank you for your insights, elizabeth.

Denise Marie Filmore said...

I was considered overly sensitive as a child and young adult. Now I embrace my sensitive nature to coach my clients and build organic, strong and long-lasting relations to help them through life and business.

Unknown said...

When I was young I was always being 'accused' of being too sensitive. I remember hearing the words being said to me like it was the worst thing in the world a little girl could be. Over time I learned to desensitize myself artificially, and eventually paid the price for not being true to myself. I'm so glad that as I got older I realized that being sensitive can be a good thing- I can relate to my clients, friends and loved ones better for it, and I now embrace my sensitive nature instead of trying to hide it. Sensitive is not a four letter word!! Thanks for the great article:)