Saturday, April 5, 2014

Where Joy lives



Today, watching the Big C on TV while eating dinner, Cathy, the main character, was in a workshop where she was told to go inside and find her joy. 

While she did that, I found myself exploring in my mind's eye about my joy and oddly enough, as often happens in these exercises, I found myself standing at the pulpit at my mother's funeral 10 years ago, talking of her, of our journey together through her illness, of what it was like to be her daughter, of the things she taught me and the things I had learned from her in this profound time that is suppose to be 'sad', but that was infact, so intimately real, and so beautifully connected, and so ultimately caring. I looked out from the pulpit, tears in my eyes, and I looked into the pews and saw my oldest neice, then 10 years old, smiling right into my eyes. 

"Why was she smiling." you ask? In fact, beaming!?

Because when we were in the room with all our family before coming out into church with everyone, I had started to cry. "I've never seen Lizzie cry" she said to everyone. She asked me how I was going to do my talk to everyone in the church and lead the ceremony. 

I looked at her, love in my eyes. I told her all I had to do was look into the pews where she'd be sitting and see her there and I would remember all was good and all was okay. And I told her I would smile at her. That she was beautiful and I loved her. And I would remember that. And it would help me. And all would be okay. Crying or not.

So we all moved into the church. My niece placing herself strategically beside me. I walked up to the stage, bowed to everyone in prayer position, and walked to the pulpit. Tears moved within me. I took a breath in and then out and looked up. 

And there she was amongst the community of people who loved my Mom, leaning earnestly forward in her pew, smiling at me with such intent, that I couldn't miss the beam. It was a grin so big, you might think she was at a birthday party or a celebration so grand it meant incredible smiling! And I guess in a way, she was, as my mother had left here to be birthed into her other world as we all acknowledged her time here and we were celebrating her. 

I couldn't even help it. I smiled back at her. And began. And each time I felt something going on, a little movement of uncontrollable tears, I looked up and over at her. Partly for me. And partly for her. And it was so obvious at one point, I stopped what was planned and told the congregation what was happening. That she was smiling to help me through the rough spots.  You could almost hear everyone smile with us.

Every time tears would start, I would put my head up and and there she was, smiling at me with her little 10 year old body, with the grin of the Universe so big that the only thing that could happen was love. And the congregation came with us.

There was something so special, so real and so very wild . . . seeing all the people from my mother's life sitting before me, over 250, including my friends from childhood, who had traveled the journey with me, those who traveled from far away to be with us that day.

And I remembered how in my self I was that day. It was a good place, filled with everything life is. Connection. Intimacy. Unwavering Support. Understanding. Love. Beauty. And smiles. Funny that it would be at a funeral. Or should I say, celebration of someone's life. And interestingly, so many came over afterwards to say how much the loved the ceremony, how beautiful my talk was and even how I even should publish the eulogy it was so good!

This is where we should always live. In that place where the drama falls away and love prevails over everything. Where the wild is free and the heart is open. A place inside that is so real and so clear that it makes you really know who you are. And a place to feel that and share it with one another.

I stood there knowing exactly what I needed to do, what I felt and how to move. I dared to say what I thought, felt moved with the presence of being, and loved and loving in the awareness of my own self, my own freedom to be, and my own divine spark of wild abandon.

And it made me really think about what that place of connection with the deepest essence of who we are comes from. And I thought about the Wild of the earth, the wild of my heart, and the wild of my ancestors and all their wisdom.  

 And, I thought about being a Woman and that divine spark within us that shines with all that is genuine and authentic and real. I thought of the forests, of my cats, the ocean and the smallest flower that knows exactly who they are and what they need to do and their meaning and purpose in their life. 

I wondered how I allowed myself to be there  . . . and how I forget and move away.

In that heart of who we are, we are our own wild selves, and know how to feel, see, hear, touch and express who we really are. When in the wild of our heart, and the untamed guts of our soul, undomesticated strength of our spirit, and vitality of our energy animated in whatever form that is, we are our true place, and natural state of being…that place of connection with the deepest essence of who we are.

Bringing out the wild knowing in ourselves, that wisdom that knows exactly what it needs, and where to find it, is our part of the natural divine plan. Knowing that what is true is what is simply arising and you find yourself speaking it, walking it, dancing it, feeling it, or just simply being it.   

This is the clarity of being free. We owe it to ourselves, our children, our nieces and nephews, dogs and cats, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, to be in that heart of who we are . . . 

And to smile. Because that's where joy lives.

With love, 

~Elizabeth xo

PS Coming soon . . . my new e-course, enlivening the wild in us all, as individuals, as a community and as a world of women, where we will explore these places of divine smiling and be okay with ourselves as we are, in the moment we are in, no matter what is going on around us. 

---------


About Elizabeth MacLeod BMus, BEd, CPC


Hey Wild Woman. Welcome!  I'm the author and illustrator of the Wild Woman Mystery Cards - An enchanting journey to your true self. I write, illustrate, teach and make Wild Woman Books and tools for your beautiful and wild heart.

My calling is to let every woman know it's  your birthright to be who you are. I will help you connect to yourself and your power, wisdom, glory, beauty, grace and wildness.

I love big screen movies, meaningful words, anything sky blue and I'm passionate about women living their best and most authentic life.

Want more? Go get my "great wonderful wild woman guide" to help you live a better life. It's FREE! 
 --------

15 comments:

Lori W said...

Thanks for sharing your story. My place of joy comes from looking for the silver lining in every cloud, acknowledging all the wonderful things that I am grateful for, and living in the moment when I spend time with those most dear to me.

Cathy said...

The bittersweetness of this story really drives home the idea that Joy is an unwavering state of being, a truth that underlies all other emotional state. This past winter, I'd felt so out of touch with any sense of joy, and yet, I've been in such deep communion with my self & soul (after a long phase of neglect) - being in that inner realm really drives home the fact that it's in there...I just need to let it out.

Not sure where I'm going with these rambling thoughts, other than to say thank you for opening my eyes to what's been right in front of me.

Susan Seale said...

What a joyful story:) Thank you for sharing it and I must say, joy has been my word for the week. It seems that almost every conversation I've had with a friend this week has been about joy, where is it, will it come back, do you get to take it with you when you die (a friend died this week) and if joy leaves and then comes back will we recognize it.

Unknown said...

You brought me to tears as I could feel the moments with you and your niece. You must know that you empowered her that day...what a gift to give what you need to receive

Unknown said...

I read this twice Elizabeth, it took me back to my own mother's service. A very different experience for me that day..I was remembering where the light and love showed up that day.Beautifully written and resonates deeply.

Sue Ann Gleason said...

I am reminded of the beautiful dance between support and supported, teach and be taught, old souls and new, life and death, grief and joy. And how lucky we are that we can choose joy, even in the midst of sorrow.

Unknown said...

That was a beautiful story, I love the innocence of your 10 year old niece and how she, in her unknowing, supported you, more than she knew.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful, beautiful story about connection. Thank you for sharing it with the world.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Oh, yes. How we forget and move away. So true, Elizabeth. So very true. I promise not to forget this week and moving forward! Thank you! xo

Unknown said...

Beautiful, thank you for sharing this! I was just speaking of joy to my husband today, and how one of the biggest joys is spending time with my family and friends - those are the special moments.

april said...

simply gorgeous, elizabeth. this is the point at which i started crying: "That she was smiling to help me through the rough spots." so much love present in the midst of such grief. what a tribute to your mom.

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing this special part of you. Such a wonderful story, very beautiful. I could feel the moments of eye contact between you and your niece.

Marci said...

What a beautiful story, and I too had tears in my eyes reading this, remembering my own moments of being in grief and finding moments of joy. Thank you for this touching reminder that joy, although not always easily found, does exist in our world, always. xo

Unknown said...

Remembering times of joy, gratitude, laughter, intimacy, pride…we can all do that at anytime. It's about making the time to do it. Guaranteed to make us feel connected, peaceful, grateful and ready to face the day. Thx for sharing.