Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Other Side of the Wild Shy Girl



"What's the matter, cat's got your tongue?" he said as I hid behind my mother's legs.  Jerk. As if that's going to help. He was loud, obnoxious, and in my space when not asked. So I hid and was condemned as it was something bad to do.

Wrong.

When my mother was dying, I went back to Montreal to help her with her transition. One day I went to her church group at her request to give a workshop. My grad 5 teacher, Miss Bishop, was there. She looked exactly the same right down to her blond beehive bun. I felt like I had been transported back in time.

"Do you remember me?" I asked. "Oh yes" she smiled as she responded. "How do you remember me after all this time? I inquired. "You were painfully shy" she said. “Wow” I thought.

Sometimes people come to me and say, "Oh but I'm so shy" I say, "that's okay. Me too." I just look like I'm not shy! Doing my passion overrides it all. Searching deep down provides me with the push that takes me over the edge of my shyness and places me front and centre with my mission from the great, most high divine order. And with that, my shyness can exist as I step out and make my way in the world.

Are there times when I have to 'cave dwell'? Sure are! But for me, that's just a gathering of energy, a refueling of my connecting to the divine, a re-orchestration of love for my self and humanity. I think I am the conductor of this mighty life, and it's true, I am. But… when I surrender to the will of the universe, all falls before me as if I was in the lap of God herself.

Now, I've made a company called Wild Woman Enchanted and I'm the author and illustrator of the Wild Woman Mystery Cards which was an intense experience just to create, never mind publish.

And it's a far cry from the shy little girl hiding behind her mothers legs. I step out, I step in, I even step behind . . . but I never let the cat get my tongue. I just say "Hey beautiful shy girl, what's up?" And she always says to me where she's at. Maybe I'm moving to quickly to stay grounded. Maybe I'm feeling something inside me that says, "this isn't right." Maybe I'm just not that into it, or maybe it's not safe and I need to reconfigure my foundation.

What ever it is… I know she's got my back in a serious way. I don't have to discard her, I only have to listen and partner with this wise soul that is part of me. When she shows up, I just realize I'm moving out of my comfort zone or something outside me doesn't see me in the way I need to be seen to feel safe. No need to stop. No need to go. No need to do anything, but acknowledge. No need to engage in someone else's energy. No need to fix it. Just acknowledge. Just stay present with myself. That's all. 'Cause I know, she's right there, helping me navigate my path, and keeping me in my truth.

Shyness has a bad rap in the global community. Being shy is not suppose to be a ‘good thing’. But I can tell you from experience, that is not true. She's amazing. She's alert. She's gentle and so very loving. She sees people in ways others can not see. And she loves to dance in the living room to her favorite music when no one is watching.

Does that mean she doesn't dream or step out? Hell no. She's a dreamer of dreamers just like the best of them. She just does it differently, kindly and with the softness of a feather. She will take your hand if you reach out to her and is willing to come out to play without a nudge when she feels heard, safe and passionate. She's so friggin' amazing. I wish everyone could know her.

So is she part of my Wild Woman? You better believe it. And I love her for being there. She's just as wild as the rest of them. She has a unique vulnerability that can take you places you didn't know existed. And with that, your heart can open into something so far beyond what you thought you knew, that all you can do is bend down on your knees and give thanks for having her in your wild life. Who knew?

With Love,

~Elizabeth xo

PS Tell me about the other side of your Wild Shy Girl . . .

-------- 

Elizabeth MacLeod BMus BEd PCP

Hi, I'm Elizabeth and I"m so glad you are here. Welcome!

I'm the author and illustrator of the Wild Woman Mystery Cards - An enchanting journey to your true self. I write, illustrate, teach and make Wild Woman Books and tools for your wild and most precious heart. 

My mission in life or my "savoir faire" is to let every woman know that it's your birthright to be who you are and it's powerful, graceful, wild, loving and beautiful to live your life from your own authentic place. 

I love big screen movies, meaningful words and anything sku blue and I'm passionate about women living their best life with their true selves. 

So passionate, I created what many call "Life's Cheat Sheet", a "great wonderful guide" for the Wild Woman. And it's FREE


17 comments:

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Are you my twin separated at birth? Ditto. Ditto. Ditto!!!! The world sees me as an extrovert, but I am a cave-loving introvert who has spent a lifetime overcoming shyness. Thank you for reminding wild women like us that we don't need to apologize for this beautiful facet of our being. xo

Unknown said...

I love that you look to your inner shy girl as your guide. She knows you better than anyone ;)

Susan Seale said...

I've always thought that shyness was a trait of extremely high intelligence:). At least that's what I tell my inner shy girl...and any parents of students I may be teaching. Congratulations on your cards...they sound amazing.

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha Michelle . . . twins separated at birth! Yes, I think so!!!! xo

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Susie . . . Yes, she does!

Elizabeth said...

Definitely Susan! Extremely high intelligence!!! :)

Kelly Hine said...

I love the way you embrace your shy girl who still dwells in you, even though you've gone through a beautiful transformation as well.

Unknown said...

I think all shy or introverted people are always the dreamers. Thanks.

Unknown said...

From one introverted selective cave dweller to another thanks Elizabeth for this post. Re-confirmed that I am not the only one who needs re-charge time ♥

Bon said...

I enjoy how you have turned your shy girl into a dear, trusted friend whose guidance you treasure. Really nice!

I'm a huge extrovert, but I do business with a lot of introverts (and self-proclaimed SHY people; I know they're not the same thing), so I will use this as a tool to help when shyness is keeping them from overcoming a goal.

Thank you for your powerful storytelling!

Lorna said...

I love that shyness and introversion have been studied more in the past decade. The general public is starting to understand more about what makes us tick as well as what an important role we play in business and leadership. I love the way you portray shy in this post. Thanks!

Rose said...

She's soft as a feather...Oh Elizabeth, that's so beautiful. I feel her gentle spirit. She even radiates from your picture. How wonderful for you to connect so lovingly with your true inner spirit. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Sue Ann Gleason said...

I love this post and the message within. There is a gift in loving and honoring all of our facets and this piece is such a beautiful display of that honoring. I grew up with the message, "You're too sensitive." I now embrace that sensitivity and all the gifts it offers me. I love the "listening" you portray here. I see, so vividly, how these qualities of yours (alert and gentle and so very loving) inform ALL of the work you do in the world. Thank you for sharing your journey and your gifts.

Zoe said...

Beautiful. Love your writing.

Tania Mercer said...

Elizabeth, thank you for elegantly describing shyness :) As an outgoing, extrovert, it is refreshing to get a peek at another personality. Truly makes me appreciate you and other "used to be shy" girls..

april said...

"I don't have to discard her, I only have to listen and partner with this wise soul that is part of me." this is simply lovely, elizabeth. i was a very shy little girl (who has grown into a very confrontational adult woman - ?!). i've come to realize the importance of integrating and embracing every aspect of my personality into who i am today.