Sunday, March 2, 2014

Life is such an Experience. Don't Wait to Feel the Love.




Today I've traveled with my 2 four leggeds Daisy and Reilly, over to Vancouver, to attend my friends Celebration of Life. (The picture above is a picture of the two of us. Blurry but I like it! So did she).

It was a trying experience to leave the house to get there. It required taking both my cats, a ferry and all that required. Daisy has sore teeth and suddenly let out a scream. I've never heard a cat scream before. I guess she had bumped herself and now, her bottom gum was split at the tooth. She was in pain. So an unexpected trip to the vet on the way to the ferry was now happening.

As I was loading the car, I came outside, and around my car were two, what seemed like Giant Pigs. I moved towards the car and they moved towards me. And, when I carried the food out, guess who was coming at full density my way. The pigs. Now there are not small pigs. They are big. Up to my waist, big. And Smart. And when they rub their back with the car, the car moves. That kind of pig. Heavy. And they are tame and friendly. And determined when they think you have food. Forget getting into your car. Forget that you have to cats to bring out. Forget that you can even load the car.

So, I'm going to a 'funeral', I have a sick cat that now needs a vet and I can't get into the car, I missed the ferry, and I was tired.

Is this my life?

Yup. How many people can talk about pigs in their yard? Not saying it's a joyful experience. My neighbour and her animals, well, let's not go there.

So after a call to the local dog control people, as their is not a pig control unit, to come and help me, we started to get things in order. The vet still could see us, but we were now 2 ferries behind.

One might say the syncronicities were such that maybe I shouldn't go to see Pam and celebrate her and our time together and her life here on Earth. But I don't see it as such.

Pam was very open about her experience. I asked her before her death if I could write about it and share pictures and she said yes. So here I am, not sharing in the way I thought I would. That's the joy of  letting things open before you as you move along.

Pam had told me one day, that if she had to do it again, she wouldn't do chemo because her quality of life was so bad. She couldn't use her hands or go out or do the things she thought she would be able to do. She had thought about this and I appreciated her candour. We talked long about this discovery for her.

So, now, here I was. Pigs handled. Car loaded. Cats in. And now at the vet and being told that Daisy needed surgery, that it would cost me over $1300, never mind the pre-blood test and the pain medication she needed to help her right now. . . and that Reilly just had been to the vet too, 3 days prior and after $300, had her meds upped (she's doing okay now)…. I sat there, thinking about life.

The money took me down. Yes. It impacted me.

The whole experience with the pigs was over the top… but a strangely unusual story. And taking two cats with you to someone's house, even though they love them, is not the easiest, stress-free experience.

But that's what it is. An experience. An experience of life that I still get to have. An experience of heart that I still get to feel with Daisy. An experience of appreciation for Reilly as I witness her bravery with the needles in her neck so we can get her feeling better. An experience of the exchange of money so that I can care for my little 4 legged family. I get to experience. Fully. My life.

I get to make decisions about what is working and what is not. I get to laugh at the TOTAL absurdity of pigs in my yard. Maybe a funny joke from Pam about life's appreciation! I mean, who else can tell that kind of story on the way to a funeral.

Pam told me also, as she traveled through this time and heavily into the treatment. "You know Lizzie, I really know I am loved. It took cancer for me to know it. I couldn't feel it before. But now, I know. Without a doubt. Cancer has been a gift that way." She wept. I understood. I wept too.

So on the way to the celebration of my friends life, I got to get right deep down into the wildness of life. I got to experience life. Fully.

And I got to love, and know I'm loved, with my little 4 leggeds, with my own witnessing of my heart with their illnesses, with my friends who patiently waited and supported us as we arrived. And arriving in the dark, late and having my bags, all of them, carried into the house for me. Thank you! And with the bed I slept in with two stressed cats, walking over my face in the night, just to make sure I was here.  And experiencing every moment.

Life.

It's an amazing experience. Those syncronicities? They were not for me to say I shouldn't come. Although it could have looked that way because of the enormous effort it took. They were there for me to show me how full my life was. That everything was so rich. That my heart could stretch beyond it's known capacity again and again. And yes, I was tired at the end of the day. Almost in tears from the 3 ferry late struggle. But that makes me happy. Happy as I travel to spend some time with Pam and think of the wisdom she shared with me along the way.

What a blessing for someone to be so candid, so willing to share their experience. There obviously is so much more. But I will leave you with this . . . it's best to love while you can, even love the pigs in your yard or at least the experience later! It's best to acknowledge that you have the ability to experience at every turn, no matter what it is. We get to be human, beyond our capacity. What a ride. Really.

On the way here, I stopped to get a chicken for dinner at Whole Pay Check! (Whole foods) … and the cashier said "How are you today?" as I placed the chickens on the table before her.  "Oh, I said, today I'm having a day! "Me too" she said. "It's been so strange" "Yes" I responded "and mercury was suppose to go out of retrograde yesterday!" We laughed.

"What happened in your day?" she sincerly asked as she swiped the "buy 2 chickens and get $4 off" deal.

"Well" I said. "My friend died of Cancer. I'm going to her funeral. I had to bring my cats because one of them is sick and needs a pill every 12 hours. That's another story. Then my other cat, Daisy, bumped her mouth, and split her gum only to discover all her teeth need to be removed. She's in pain. In fact, she screamed. I've never heard a cat scream. Poor little sweetie. . . So on the way here, I had to stop at the vet. So here I had two sick cats, pigs in my yard so I couldn't get them to the vet because I couldn't get in the car, money falling out of my pocket into the hands of the vets who are caring for them like it was running water,  mud all over my pants from the pigs (I showed her my leg) I got a ferry 3 times later than I thought I would and my friends are waiting patiently for my arrival. I'm here buying chicken so I can eat dinner and well, I think I'm feeling a little tired" I paused. She swiped the chicken. "But, life is good".  I said as looked at her and smiled.

We both smiled. The irony.  I said a little whisper to Pam.

"Pigs in your yard?" she said inquisitively. "Yup, I said. "I kid you not" And I told her the story.

"That's the best story I've heard all day!" she said. I smiled. "Yeah" I said. "It's pretty good story. Thanks for asking so I could share it with you." "Thanks for telling me. You made my day" she said.

We shook hands over the table, because we actually wanted to hug and the cash machine was in the way. No, I didn't know her. But love is everywhere. That's what Pam discovered. That's what her gift to me on the way to her "Celebration of Life" is. She's gifting me. A blessing to be sure. That's what I was getting to see and remember. And I was getting to experience my life fully as I came to celebrate hers.

I'm off to spend some time now, with Pam and her family and friends. I am full. And I am filled. And I am grateful. Thanks Pam. Thank you. Namaste.

With love,

~Elizabeth xo


About Elizabeth MacLeod BMus, PDTC PCC
Founder of Wild Woman Enchanted

Hi. I'm Elizabeth and I'm so glad you are here. Welcome!

I'm an author, teacher, publisher and Wild Woman living on the Sunshine Coast of BC with my 2 four-leggeds Daisy and Reilly. 

Exploring our connection with our selves . . . mmmmmm . . . 

Go inside. Let her speak. I'll show you how. 

Want to get more creative, see the syncronicities for what they are,  feel better  by connecting with your true self. Click here for the Wild Woman Shift. It's FREE! It's a wonderful, great guide."



www.wildwomanenchanted.com

12 comments:

Bon said...

You are such a storyteller, Elizabeth. WOW! What an adventure! I just love the way you can enjoy the story of it all, and know that Pam would too. (FWIW, I am someone who has decided *no chemo* should I ever be given the choice, having seen what it's done to those otherwise healthy cancer-having friends of mine.) The critters, the animals, the adventure of it all... aren't they just such wonderful reminders of how we're not in control and we're not to take too much too seriously?

{{{hugs}}} and love to you!

And So She Writes said...

Love is everywhere. Thank you for your story. xx

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, I am so glad that you are sharing your friendship with Pam in this post. A beautiful way to express how a relationship can impact our day to day whether they are with us or not. Thank you for that! XO

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, that was a very funny and poignant story! You have to laugh straight back at life sometimes, especially when it comes to pigs in your yard! I have been experiencing many peoples passings lately and it makes you pause to appreciate the quirkiness of life.

april said...

i am sad you have to say goodbye to your friend, but touched at the poignant way you've shared her life and the synchronicities of your own. hugs to your kitties.

Elizabeth said...

It sure is Bon! I too have made a decision not to have chemo. When Pam said that, it made my decision solid. I so appreciate her for that. But I guess we never really know until we are in those shoes. I hope I never have to be faced with that decision. And yeah... we are sooo not in control. May as well let go of that one! :)

Elizabeth said...

xo

Elizabeth said...

xo

Elizabeth said...

Yes. And well you know, as someone once said "It's only life!"

Elizabeth said...

Thank you April

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend! I know she was a beautiful woman.
On a side note the part about the pigs had me laughing out loud! As you know! Stay strong she is in a better place, no pain or struggles anymore. She is happy and blissful up in the heavens!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you. And yes.. the pigs… oh my goodness!!!!